Monday, April 23, 2018

What happened when a gay man found Courage

Via the Deacon's Bench comes this "refreshing and even inspiring reflection in America magazine by Karl Miller, who describes his journey to the apostolate Courage, and what it has given him."
But sobriety added a new twist to my struggles. The numbness brought on by drink or drug was replaced with the reality of the loneliness I was experiencing. It was the loneliness that I imagine St. Augustine felt when he said to the Lord, “Our hearts are restless until they rest in you”—the loneliness that led me to strangers’ arms and beds in my 20s and 30s. I was now enlightened or maybe just sensible enough to know that my heart and head longed for something vastly more authentic than a one-night stand.

I visited a local chapter of Dignity, a support group for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons who are Catholic. ... For me, it seemed there was a wink-and-nod bonhomie that celebrated the gay Catholic’s outsider status. ...

I tried a Unitarian Universalist congregation and found that I desired a faith-directed home with more clearly defined principles and direction. ...

And then, about a decade ago, I was introduced to Courage.
Read the whole article here. I have long heard Courage praised by members. For more about Courage, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment